Items or coin in your inventory may be attached to outgoing mail using "click and drag" or by right-click and selecting "Mail to". You may send mail to players on other worlds and even across regions, for example from a North American server to a European one. The maximum length of the subject line is 31 characters. Messages are limited to 511 characters. The system may attempt to auto-complete the recipient's name.
- Reading mail
When there are items or coin attached to incoming mail, press the Take All button to transfer them to your inventory. Players cannot delete messages if there are any items or coin attached, but may press Return to Sender, if it is not greyed-out. Received messages are marked to notify players of the sender's identity:
- map completion and from the Tyrian Explorers Society. Indicates the message is for
- Indicates the message is from someone in your personal story.
- Indicates the message is from a member of the ArenaNet support team or an in-game source.
- To discourage misuse, other messages have the note at the bottom of the message: "This message was sent by another player. It was not sent by the Guild Wars 2 Team."
- 20px Messages may be reported through the mail.
- Inbox full
Both read and unread mail may be automatically deleted when your inbox becomes full.
- You can only have 10 player-generated messages in your mailbox at any given time. Your current volume is denoted as
- Once your mailbox has reached this limit, you will not receive any mails that have been sent; mail beyond the limit will be queued to a backlog and received after you delete items in your inbox.
- A full inbox will also prevent deliveries of Gem Store purchases and certain other in-game messages. To prevent this from happening, keep your inbox as empty as possible.
- You can only have 15 non-player messages that do not count against the 10-message limit. Unlike the player messages, these will not be queued to wait for you to read. Instead, the oldest message is automatically deleted, even if you did not read it. Items in the deleted message will automatically be deposited in your inventory.
- You cannot send mail to your own characters; use the Account Vault to transfer items between them.
- New accounts cannot compose mail until the highest level character has reached level 6.
- The amount of items and coin transferable is capped for newer accounts. The cap is gradually alleviated as you progress in the game.
- Trial accounts can only send mail to a player who has added the trial account holder to their friend list.
- You cannot send excessive messages in a short span of time.
Certain events will trigger receiving mail from various NPCs:
- Getting 100% map completion of explorable zones will trigger a congratulatory letter from the Tyrian Explorers Society for the area.
- Announcement of special events.
- Reaching certain points in the living story and in your personal story.
- Reaching the minimum level to play in various dungeons.
- Most items purchased from the gem store are delivered via mail.
Whenever you or another player send or receive mail, a mail carrier can be seen swooping across their character in-game. New mail carriers can be unlocked and can be selected in the hero panel or when sending mail.
List of mail carriers[править]
- Mail-Carrier Pigeon (default)
- Before September 2014 Feature Pack, reaching a full Inbox would count toward the Hint Completion achievement which has been retired with that patch.
- Mail is a common method used by scammers. An example can be seen in the thumbnail to the right.
- Hints has 2 mail-related tasks under the Social category, Mail and Mailbox Is Full.