Tears of Itlaocol
Tears of Itlaocol is a soloable mini-dungeon found in Caledon Forest, south of the Falias Thorp Waypoint, with a puzzle to be solved. Its entrance is found at Dengatl Grounds and is opened by picking up a nearby boulder and throwing it at a large, circular gong suspended directly to the right of the door in the village. The gong cannot be targeted, so you have to face it and throw the boulder. If there are enemies nearby, ensure that Autotargeting is turned off.
Past the many veteran hylek inside, is an unpopulated marshy clearing with a closed gate and the puzzle to open it. You can kill, avoid, or train through hylek, including the champion on the left, to reach the gate. Hug the right wall as it bends to your right for training through. You will reach a passage where the walls shoot (not very harmful) darts at regular intervals, before reaching the puzzle area.
On the ground before the gate are 9 pressure plates in a 3x3 pattern, and scattered glowing spheres called Tears of Itlaocol, which can be picked up and dropped on the pressure plates. A large rock representing a human face is suspended from the ceiling to the right of the gate, with bright dots on each cheek, representing the positions of the figure's tears. The wall has four unlit torches, two on either side of the gate, and two further to the right of the suspended figure's head. All four torches must be lit for the gate to open.
To solve the puzzle and open the gate, match the dot patterns on the cheeks by placing spheres on the corresponding pressure plates, starting with the left cheek pattern. Upon a successful match, the room will rumble and the torch to the left of the gate will light up. Repeat for the right cheek pattern to light a torch to the right of the gate. After lighting both torches, the patterns will change. Repeat the process for the next two torches and the gate will open.
- Champion Hylek Cuicani (15)
- Veteran Hylek Amini (15)
- Veteran Hylek Cuicani (15)
- Veteran Hylek Tlamatini (15)
- The left pattern (when facing the gate) must be done before the right pattern.
- The puzzle might have been partially completed by someone before you: check for lit torches before proceeding. Zero or two lit: start with left pattern. One or three: start with right one.
- When matching patterns do not light a torch, there are several reported potential fixes:
- Approach the torch that should be lit. This may light it. Circling the room clockwise will put you near each torch in sequence if you can't see them.
- Removing all tears and then replacing the pattern may trigger a match.
- Filling all panels with tears and then removing tears to recreate the pattern may trigger a match.
- The displayed pattern may be wrong. Guessing the correct pattern will trigger a match.
- If you suspect the puzzle may be bugged, you could try the previously observed patterns shown in the following table.
- ◎ represents a stone with a tear on it
- ○ a stone without tear.
- The top row is the closest to the face and the gate.
Pattern 1 Pattern 2 Pattern 3 Pattern 4 Pattern 5 Pattern 7 Pattern 8 Pattern 9 Pattern 10 Pattern 11 ◎ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎ ○ ○ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ◎ ○ ○ ○ ◎ ◎ ◎
- This is not a complete list of all possible patterns (you can improve this page by adding more patterns).
- If patterns do not update after lighting the first pair of torches, you can try to go to character selection screen and come back.
- If the displayed pattern does not work, or if none of the patterns listed above works, you can move all the tears away from the puzzle before trying again. Removing all tears from spaces and then trying the displayed pattern again may "fix" the puzzle.
- Using different tears for each of the two patterns per stage seems to avoid this bug. Before beginning, split the tears into two piles, one to be used for the left pattern, and the other for the right pattern. Do not use the same tears for both patterns.