To The Core
To The Core
- 1325 AE
To The Core (level 66)
Acquire the explosives from Zopp's krewe.
- Meet Tonn at Mount Maelstrom.
- Acquire the flame core device.
- Defeat the greater fire elemental.
- Escape the volcano.
- Mystic Coin
- One of the following: Master Harvesting Sickle, Master Logging Axe, Master Mining Pick
Upon arriving at the heart of Mount Maelstrom, you receive unfortunate news that the research krewe is in some trouble and the flame core is currently in the possession of angry elementals. You and Tonn suit up in specialized Golems capable of withstanding the intense heat and go to retrieve the core. Tonn is a non-combatant for this mission, so all of the fighting is up to you.
Your normal 1-5 weapon skills are replaced with Golem skills, and your profession mechanic is disabled - for example, Rangers can't use pets on this mission. Oddly enough, your healing, utility, and elite skills are unchanged, so make sure to swap out any that require use of your profession mechanic. Take the time to learn what the Golem skills do before continuing, since there's a lot of hectic running around later. In particular, note that the water cannon skill is channeled, lasting longer if you hold the button down. This is your most powerful attack, but it also leaves you vulnerable while channeling, since you can't move.
Head down into the volcano, dispatching any elementals that get in your way. The flame core is sitting right out in the open; walk up to it and Tonn will pick it up. This triggers an energy release that spawns a huge flame elemental in the middle of the lava and also roots Tonn to the spot; you're going to have to defeat it before you can escape. Three Flame Orbs spawn around the lava; destroy them to eliminate the elemental.
The Flame Orbs are defenseless structures and are easily destroyed, but several Lava Elementals continuously spawn around the area, and the flame elemental itself will shoot out damaging fire waves. Keep moving to avoid being pinned down. The water cannon skill works great on the Flame Orbs, but has a tendency to randomly miss against them too, so you may have to resort to punching them. After destroying an Orb, the flame elemental gets angrier and shoots even more fire waves; however, after the last Orb is destroyed, the flame elemental and most enemies in the area disappear. Tonn is able to move again, so head out of the volcano and end the mission.
Speaking to Tonn (cinematic):
- Demolitionist Tonn: Hope you're ready for bad news. I just learned from Zopp here that his whole team went ashes and embers on him.
- Researcher Zopp: Hey, that's my krewe you're talking about. They're going to be extremely hard to replace.
- Demolitionist Tonn: Sorry, I tend to get overfocused when I'm on a mission. Tell us what happened.
- Researcher Zopp: We were completing the extraction when Makk's suit malfunctioned. He burst into flames and dropped the flame core device. Then lava elementals attacked us.
- Demolitionist Tonn: We need that core--it's the heart of the explosive device I want to build. All right, Commander, suit up. It's about to get real, real hot.
After the cinematic:
- Demolitionist Tonn: Elementals everywhere...but Zopp made these rigs especially for this job. We should be safe enough.
- Demolitionist Tonn: Temperature readings are off the charts. Don't worry, the suits can take it. I think.
Approaching the core device:
- Demolitionist Tonn: Wait! Don't touch that. It requires special handling. Leave it to me.
- Demolitionist Tonn: I got what we came for. Temperature readings are off the charts, but we're safe inside these rigs.
- Demolitionist Tonn: Wait...suit malfunction! The core's magnetic field is mucking with my motivators. I can't move!
- Demolitionist Tonn: I can fix it, but--oh, glitch! There's a huge spike in the energy readings.
- Demolitionist Tonn: Something big is coming out of the volcano. And I don't think it's coming to thank us.
- Demolitionist Tonn: This is bad. I can't ditch my suit or I'll be crispified. You'll have to fight that thing alone.
- Demolitionist Tonn: Hang on! I'm detecting massive power surges from those flaming orbs.
- Demolitionist Tonn: That's probaly what's giving it cohesion. Take them out, and that thing will disperse.
After destroying the first orb:
- Demolitionist Tonn: That's it! The orbs are keeping it together. Take the others out and we're optimal.
After destroying the second orb:
- Demolitionist Tonn: It's working, but watch out--beating that thing is making it mad.
After destroying the third orb:
- Demolitionist Tonn: Scratch one giant elemental. And I'm free! Let's get what we came for and saunter on out of here.
After exiting the volcano (cinematic):
- Demolitionist Tonn: Whew! I expected things to get hot, but not that hot. Thanks for bailing me out.
- <Character name>: Just watching my partner's back...and giving him the chance to collect the flame core. You got it, right?
- Demolitionist Tonn: Oh, I got it. This is just what we need to send that bone ship straight to the bottom of the Mire Sea.
- <Character name>: Then I'll meet you there as soon as I've finished prepping the device.
After the cinematic:
- Demolitionist Tonn: I'll have to introduce you to Ceera. You'd like her. She's a Pact soldier, too. A medic.
- Demolitionist Tonn: That's why we make such a great pair: I blow up enemies, she patches up allies.
|Файл:To the Core.jpg|